As a non-profit organization, MTRA exists because of the time and generosity of others throughout the Marion county and surrounding communities. We continue to need your care and support. For questions about becoming a volunteer, please eMail our office. If you already know you want to sign up to volunteer at MTRA, click HERE! This will take you to our volunteer login app by computer or phone where you can sign up, complete forms, and even access trainings available to our team members!
There are a wide range of opportunities for individuals, families, church groups, clubs, schools and businesses to take an active role in a way that is the most meaningful to them. As a 501(C)3, all donations are tax-deductible, and all volunteer hours can also count toward community service hours for school programs, college applications, and detention programs.
Volunteering with MTRA often impacts our volunteers as much as it impacts the clients we serve as you bear witness to the extraordinary physical and psychological benefits of therapeutic horseback riding. Additionally, we are always open to ideas to generate sustainable ways we can deepen our program and continue to play an integral role in the lives of our clients.
Click HERE to download our Volunteer Handbook.
Have a special talent?
MTRA is works very hard to assign specific tasks to people with the skills and experience to help us maximize the very valuable hours that our volunteers give us. Here are just a few of the different roles we have available for our volunteers:
- Leaders: This is the person who leads the horse for our assisted riders. Horse experience is preferred, but not necessary.
- Side Walkers: The side walkers assist in putting the assisted riders on and off the horse, and then walk on either side of the rider throughout the lesson, sometimes physically assisting the rider to balance. We are especially in need of volunteers who are physically capable of assisting with our more severely disabled and require a bit of strength with assistance.
- Journalist/writers: One of the most important factors with keeping MTRA in the black is handled by publishing a newsletter, creating email news releases, soliciting publications for donated space or receptivity to including articles relating to MTRA events and news, helping with volunteer, rider, sponsor, and donor communications, etc. We are very much in need of help in this area. We also are very busy researching grant opportunities and writing grants and can always use assistance in this area.
- Photographers/videographers: We are always in need of good quality photographs and video of our events, lessons, and riders. Video editing capability is a plus!
- Administration: Whether you are an obsessive-compulsive organizer or just someone who would like to help and takes good direction, we always have a need for help in our offices!
- Maintenance: Love to landscape or garden? Like to build things? Have some mechanical abilities and no place to use them? Tell us what you love to do and we’ll find a pairing for you! We have tractors, lawnmowers, and more that need maintaining and grass to mow, pastures to drag, fences to repair, flower beds to maintain and landscaping that needs TLC… the options are endless!
- Ambassadors: Are you a people person? Do you love our mission? Join the Ambassador Team and share our mission and why you support our program at community events, groups, and special activities to help raise awareness. This is a very important role as it helps us to reach new people, inspire new fundraising activities, and thank our supporters for their roles as well!
- Events: MTRA hosts an array of fundraising events and also assists community partners throughout the year. If you are not able to commit to regular weekly volunteering schedule but would like to help out occasionally, please send us an email to find out the calendar of events to choose from!
- Jack-of-all-trades: Have a skill we haven’t mentioned, but think you might be able to spare an hour a week or so? Send us an email or give us a call at 352-732-7300 and let’s brainstorm!
All Volunteers are required to complete a set of Volunteer Application Forms for both MTRA and the state of Florida Department of Environmental Protection/Florida Park Services. Any volunteer candidate that has the potential to interact with our clients will also be subject to a Level 2 Background Check. Click HERE to download the forms.
Using your phone? Scan this barcode to sign up in our volunteer app today!